Hi! I’m Yissel Rosario, your Membership Services Coordinator. In partnership with volunteers in your community, I’ll help you through the process of becoming a volunteer with Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts. We are excited that you are interested in volunteering to work with girls in your community.
If you would like to become a leader, co-leader, assistant leader or advisor to a troop, you need to complete the following steps, before you start meeting with girls. If you are interested in volunteering in other roles, the steps may be different. Please contact me for more information.
Steps to Becoming a Troop Leader/Co-leader/Assistant Leader/Advisor:
(Feel free to use this information below as a checklist.)
Complete a volunteer application packet* which includes:
- Complete a Volunteer Application (you must have 3 references listed with names, phone numbers, and email addresses)
- a CORI (background check) form
- Read the Leader Position Description and Core Competencies. This is what is expected of leaders by both GSCWM and Girl Scouts of the USA.
- Register as an adult Girl Scout member online or submit a paper form to GSCWM ($15 for the year or $375 for a lifetime membership) (Registering online is instantaneous and allows you to register for future trainings and events online.) If registering online, please provide a copy of your membership registration confirmation email. If registering by paper, please retain a copy, and submit a copy with you volunteer application packet.
- Complete the online Girl Scouting 101 course which takes about 45 minutes. The course gives new Girl Scout volunteers an overview of the organization, the basics on working with girls of all ages and an introduction to Girls Guides and Journeys. Please be sure to check that the zoom on your browser is set to 100% in order to see the entire screen. This is usually found listed under the page tab. Be sure to select Central and Western Massachusetts as your council when prompted.
- Attend a Welcome to Girl Scout Leadership presentation in the fall.
* In order to expedite you appointment as a volunteer, we strongly suggest that the individuals complete the paperwork process while waiting for the fall Welcome to Girl Scout Leadership training. Volunteer application packets can be sent, via fax, email or mail.
In order to place you with a troop as quickly as possible, you will have 10 business days from the time your Volunteer Application is processed to complete these steps. Once these steps are completed, including a Welcome to Girl Scout Leadership Presentation, I will send you an official appointment letter (via email). At that time, if there are two appointed volunteers for your troop, I will provide you with a troop number.
To submit paperwork, please contact me at:
Phone:800-462-9100 x4024 (in Massachusetts) or 413-584-2602 x4024
If you have mediating circumstances that will prevent you from completing the process within this time frame, please contact me to establish a timeline that works given your circumstances.
I look forward to helping you start your journey as a Girl Scout volunteer!